It is! :) I like making fun cameos like that.
As is well known in… well, most of the circles that would be reading this, the DC Universe is going to be “rebooting” in September, with fifty-two separate brand new first issues of fifty-two brand new-or-newly-restarted comic book series.
You’ll note that I put quotes around “rebooting” above. That’s because despite liberal use of the term, this isn’t actually a reboot. As I’ve said elsewhere, at best it’s a few patches and edits being made to a save file.
As with any decision made by a large comic book company, there has been a huge discussion and debate surrounding DC Comics’s plans. People are upset about their favorite comics being tampered with. People are upset about favorite characters disappearing and other characters being changed beyond recognition (or, indeed, being changed into something too recognizable, in the case of Barbara “was-Oracle-now-once-again-Batgirl” Gordon. People are upset over the choices being made, the pants that some heroines are getting, and the fact that Superman isn’t wearing red swim trunks any longer.
And I’ll admit, I’m one of those people. I’ve been quite critical of this moderate shift in continuity. I think it’s ill advised at best and potentially disastrous at worst.
You see… I don’t think they’re going anywhere near far enough with it.
Goddamn, if they actually did this I’d be inclined to pick up these issues month-to-month. :O
- IRC Chat. Forever ago.
I forgot who said this, but if I ever die and Candi isn’t finished, this is the canonical ending. :D
Caught up on the rest of Young Justice!
I think I’m mostly a M’gann/Superboy shipper at this stage. I want to believe in KF/Robin, but I’m not seeing it so far. :( I mostly ship it because of the awesome fanart I see for it. I would also love to see Kaldur/Anyone. Aqualad needs some love. :3
Here’s the rest of my commentary as I was watching it:
- I don’t know why seeing the fortuneteller stick money in her cleavage made me laugh so much. Sticking the roll in like that can’t be comfy.
- Girl time… M’gann and Artemis let’s talk about boys! Since we obviously don’t have more interesting topics. Like Mars. Or fighting techniques. Or anything else. >:(
- Oh! Is this villain that bratty kid that turned had Bats, WW, Sups, Lantern and Flash turned into kids in that Justice League episode? :D
- “Those were my favorite boots…” aw Superboy.
- Wally… really you’re flirting is tots-inapprops right now. You’re not “entitled” to do that whenever. Glad Artemis is calling you out.
- Kaldur seriously continues to impress me. <3 Explaining why Wally doesn’t believe in magic with understanding was great.
- “I can’t believe you’d attack a defenseless pussy-cat!!” LOLOLOL
- I guess M’gann doesn’t mind, but Wally’s persistence is just rude. I’m not sure that’s a great image to send out to kids watching this show.
- I miss Robin in this one. :(
- The opening shots of the cities in all these episodes is just gorgeous.
- Aw Kaldur! You’re homesick… ;_; Poor baby.
- Atlantis’ language is pretty.
- Kaldur, your heart’s gonna get all broken isn’t it? :(
- Wait? What just happened? M’gann and Superboy making googly-eyes at each other? (Well as close as Superboy could do that anyway.) Then she just cooked and he’s stares at static? That was a weird cut. I’m sure this scene spawned many a fanfic filling in that blank.
- Aw Batman, you’re such a nice dad in this series. :3
- Hee! Speedster family!
- Oh wow! Double angst for Kaldur! Girl you love dating your best friend, and your homeland getting destroyed… yikes!
- The Queen is so badass!! :O
- Aw at the Artemis/Momma moment.
- These Light baddies are weird. It’s endless foreshadowing with them.
- Okay…. wtf is happening? D:
- Superboy’s ball of rage is SCARY AS FUCK.
- LOL “Quit touching yourself!”
- “Whelmed!” squee!
- Aqualad! :( He keeps calling for Tulah.
- I’m sure being a labrat again isn’t good Superboy’s future trust issues.
- Did I miss an episode? When was M’gann a cheerleader?
- Heh. I like the robotball thingy. “Can I keep him?”
- Still poor Aqualad! So confused!
- Overall, this episode was very cute.
- Lex? Interesting.
- I wonder why M’gann didn’t choose to look more like her Uncle’s human form.
- Won’t people recognize Connor’s real identity from… his face?
- Cheshire’s flirting with Red Arrow was hilarious. The guy is too smug for his own good.
- Ra Al Ghul! Eep!
- I really really like Cheshire.
-Oh shit! I forgot about Mercy’s arm! Her story about why she sticks with Lex is great (wikipedia it if you don’t know.)
- Finally! Roy shows his friends some respect. I like that a lot.
The following day, I attended a workshop about preventing gender violence, facilitated by Katz. There, he posed a question to all of the men in the room: “Men, what things do you do to protect yourself from being raped or sexually assaulted?”
Not one man, including myself, could quickly answer the question. Finally, one man raised his hand and said, “Nothing.” Then Katz asked the women, “What things do you do to protect yourself from being raped or sexually assaulted?” Nearly all of the women in the room raised their hand. One by one, each woman testified:
“I don’t make eye contact with men when I walk down the street,” said one.
“I don’t put my drink down at parties,” said another.
“I use the buddy system when I go to parties.”
“I cross the street when I see a group of guys walking in my direction.”
“I use my keys as a potential weapon.”
The women went on for several minutes, until their side of the blackboard was completely filled with responses. The men’s side of the blackboard was blank. I was stunned. I had never heard a group of women say these things before. I thought about all of the women in my life — including my mother, sister and girlfriend — and realized that I had a lot to learn about gender.” —
This reminds me of a gallery opening I was volunteering at awhile back, for an exhibit of art based on domestic violence. The speaker told a story about a workshop he’d been to where the instructor asked the audience whether they’d rather walk on the side of the street with a stranger, or the one with a barking German Shepard. The men chose the stranger; the women chose the dog.
I am! And while I like Teen Titans a bit more, I’m enjoying how this team plays into the whole animated DC universe. They are still teenagers and have to answer to their “parents”.
Damn straight they do.
This is from Girlonabicycle, a Washington DC blogger who rides a bike, is a girl and a police officer.
When a guy in a car purposefully bumped her with his car, she got out her badge (even though she was off duty) and persued him.
Turns out he had a shit load of drugs in his vehicle.
Girl on a bike 1 - Scumbag dealer 0.